NexGard is an FDA approved that:
- kills new and existing fleas fast
- Prevents flea infestations
- Comes in a soft, beef flavored chewable
- Last for a full month
- Approved for puppies 8 weeks and older and at least 4 pounds.
- Kills adult fleas before they can lay eggs, reducing environmental flea biomass (eggs, larvae, and pupae).
- Helps prevent reinfestation with new fleas.
- With new infestations, the majority of adult fleas are killed within 12 hours
Afoxolaner in action is a molecule developed specifically for the treatment of fleas and ticks that prey on dogs. It binds to flea and tick nerve cell chloride channels activated by the neurotransmitter GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid), which causes uncontrolled hyperexcitation of the central nervous system and death in fleas and ticks. Afoxolaner acts selectively on the nervous systems of fleas and ticks because the GABA-gates chloride channels of these pests are much more sensitive to afoxolaner than those of mammals.
After oral administration of NexGard to dogs afoxolaner:
- is rapidly absorbed into a blood stream, reaching peak plasma levels in 2 to 4 hours.
- binds predominantly to plasma proteins while unbound afoxolaner is distributed throughout tissues.
- is slowly eliminated from the body through metabolism and biliary excretion.
- Has a terminal half-life of approximately 15 days.
Each NexGard chew is formulated to provide a minimum afoxolaner dosage of 2.5 mg/kg (1.14 mg/lb). Each chew contains 2.27% w/w of afoxolaner.
For Large dogs (10-25 kg) each chew contains 68 mg
For dogs 10-25 kg, NexGard is given orally once a month, at the minimum dosage of 1.14 mg/lb (2.5 mg/kg). Most dogs readily take the palatable chew, so there is no need to hide it in the food. Afoxolaner plasma levels are the same regardless of whether NexGard is given with our without food.
*Product image and information are correct at the time of publishing on this website. For the most accurate information and image, please refer to the actual product.